CONSTITUTION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF DAYTON TRIATHLON CLUB
We, the members of the UD Triathlon Club do hereby establish this constitution on this 26th day of August 2007 for our purpose to be realized to its fullest potential.
Article I - Name
The name of the organization will be the UD Triathlon Club, henceforth referred to as the UD Triathlon Club.
Article II - Purpose
1. The mission of the UD Triathlon Club is to provide opportunity and encouragement for multi-sport training at the university and to promote higher ideals and racing skills among its participants. The UD Triathlon Club looks to benefit its members through improvements in fitness and by providing resources and motivation necessary to achieve an overall healthy lifestyle. The UD Triathlon Club looks to provide any student or faculty member with the opportunity to improve his/her ability to compete in the triathlon or any of three sports (swim, bike, or run) of which it is comprised.
2. The UD Triathlon Club understands and is committed to fulfilling its responsibilities of abiding by the University of Dayton's policies.
Article III - Membership
Active membership shall be limited to persons officially connected with the University as enrolled undergraduate students, staff, and faculty members. In addition, the following requirements are necessary to constitute voting membership.
1. Payment in full of financial obligations as determined by the UD Triathlon Club.
2. Attendance at 75% of all meetings during a given semester.
3. Active participation in all activities sponsored by the UD Triathlon Club unless the activities interfere with either a class or job.
4. The UD Triathlon Club openly admits students to its membership and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin, or sexual orientation.
Article IV - Officers
Officers of the UD Triathlon Club must be full-time undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Dayton. The UD Triathlon Club will be governed by the following means:
1. An elected President will preside at all meetings of the UD Triathlon Club. The president will maintain the power to appoint all committee chairpersons, shall present all motions to the body present, and shall be present at 90% of the meetings of the UD Triathlon Club. The President is responsible for communication between the UD Triathlon Club, its advisor board, and Student Involvement and Leadership.
2. The UD Triathlon Club shall also maintain a Vice President. The Vice President's duties shall be to preside at all meetings and functions that the President cannot attend.
3. The UD Triathlon Club shall also elect other officers of Vice President standing with responsibilities including but not limited to the following:
- Handle all dues
Vice President of Sponsorship and Marketing
- Control all accounts
- Keep the lists of voting and active members
- Record all expenditures
- Keep protocol of all meetings
- Be responsible for storing or displaying team awards/trophies.
- Ensure that all club members participating in the race season have paid their membership dues.
- Obtain and control sponsorship
Article V0 - Operations
- Maintain public relations
1. Voting Eligibility
Those members meeting all requirements of active membership by (date) as set forth by Article II will be eligible to vote.
2. Election Process
All officers shall be elected by a majority of eligible members of the UD Triathlon Club. All elections will be held on an annual basis by April 1 of each academic year.
The President will take nominations from the floor, the nomination process must be closed and motion seconded. The nomination parties will be allowed to vote if they are eligible voting members.
All voting shall be done by secret ballot to be collected and tabulated by the Secretary-Treasurer and one voting member of the UD Triathlon Club, appointed by outgoing President.
Newly elected officers will assume office on May 1, except in the case of midterm elections. Officers elected midterm will assume office immediately after their election.
Any officer of the UD Triathlon Club in violation of the organization's purpose or constitution may be removed from office by the following process:
a. A written request by at least three members of the organization.
b. Written notification to the officer of the request and asking the officer to be present at the next meeting to speak in their own defense.
c. Written notification to the membership.
d. 75% of the voting membership must be in attendance to vote on removal of an officer. A two-thirds majority is necessary to remove officer.
Should an officer resign or be removed, a special election will be held one week after written notification to all voting members. Midterm elections shall be conducted as specified in Article V, section 2.
The president(s) has the responsibility of setting dates for club meetings. The President will notify the vice-president of the date and time of the next meeting with due notices to the entire club of at least 3 days. All Meetings will occur on a weekly basis or other regular basis at a time selected by the UD Triathlon Club and will follow the procedures set forth below:
- Report by President
- Committee Report
- Vote on all committee motions and decisions
- Any other business put forward by the members of the club
- Dismissal by the President
Article VI - Finances
The UD Triathlon Club will finance the activities it engages in by the following means:
1. Membership dues (appropriate amount set forth by the UD Triathlon Club).
2. The UD Triathlon Club will conduct all financial activities in accordance with university policy all place all funds in its university account.
Article VII - Amendments
This constitution is binding to all members of the UD Triathlon Club, but the constitution is not binding unto itself.
1. Amendments to the constitution may be proposed in writing by any voting member of the UD Triathlon Club at any meeting which two-third of the voting members are present.
2. These amendments will be placed on the agenda for the next regular meeting of the executive council or other officer grouping.
3. Proposed amendments will become effective following approval of two-thirds majority vote of voting members.
1. A written request signed by four members compels the President to call a meeting within two weeks of the request.
2. Members will be responsible for club dues in order to participate in any club practices or races.
3. The UD Triathlon Club's Email distribution list will be open to both members and non-members.
Back to top