Stamps from Ascension
This barren and uninhabited island was discovered and named by the Portuguese in 1503. The British garrisoned the island in 1815 to prevent a rescue of Napoleon from Saint Helena. It served as a provisioning station for the Royal Navy's West Africa Squadron on anti-slavery patrol. The island remained under Admiralty control until 1922, when it became a dependency of Saint Helena. During World War II, the UK permitted the US to construct an airfield on Ascension in support of trans-Atlantic flights to Africa and anti-submarine operations in the South Atlantic. In the 1960s the island became an important space tracking station for the US. In 1982, Ascension was an essential staging area for British forces during the Falklands War. It remains a critical refueling point in the air-bridge from the UK to the South Atlantic.

CIA—The World Factbook

Ascension began printing stamps in 1922. Printing of Mary stamps began in 1990.

 

Map of Ascension

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

To view more information about a certain stamp, click on that stamp.
Pour lire les informations sur un timbre, appuyez sur ce timbre.

1990s

Madonna and Child

Madonna and Child

Madonna and Child

Madonna and Child

St. Mary's Church

St. Mary's Church

Grotto of Our Lady of Acension

Grotto of Our Lady of Ascension

 

Return to The Mary Page

This page, maintained by The Marian Library/International Marian Research Institute, Dayton, Ohio 45469-1390, and created by Ann Zlotnik , was last modified Monday, 04/02/2012 09:48:31 EDT by Ann Zlotnik . Please send any comments to jroten1@udayton.edu.