Q. Can you provide me with information and the image of the Virgin of Lichen/Poland?
The sanctuary is located in Wielkopolska in a village called Lichen. It is located in southwestern Poland within traveling distance of
Jasna Gora, (Mother of God of Czestochowa) and is one of Poland's important pilgrimage and apparition sites.
The history of the sanctuary dates back to 1813, when 'the
battle of nations' took place near Leipzig. Polish soldiers were fighting under
Napoleon, among them Tomasz Klossowski who was seriously wounded. Facing death, he
began to invoke Our Lady, begging her not to let him die in a foreign land.
According to the legend, Our Lady was wearing a crown, an
amaranth dress and a golden mantle. She appeared to him holding a white eagle in her right hand.
She comforted the soldier and promised he would recover and return to Poland.
Moreover, she asked him to find a picture in her likeness and to make it known in his
homeland. The healed soldier returned to his home near Lichen. Year after year
he wandered about the countryside searching for the miraculous image of Our
Lady. In 1836 he eventually found it in Lgota. At first he placed the portrait
in his own house, and then hung it up on an old pine-tree in the nearby forest--puszcza grablinska.
In 1850 the Holy Virgin revealed herself to the shepherd Mikolaj
Sikatka who was pasturing cattle near the image in the forest. In her message to
Mikolaj, Our Lady summoned people to conversion, to break with greed and
licentiousness. She exhorted them to pray the rosary and reminded them to
participate in celebration of the Sunday liturgy. She asked priests to celebrate the
liturgy worthily. Finally, she also requested that her image be moved to a more
fitting place. She promised that those who earnestly prayed before it would
escape death during the plague, which was to be the punishment for the lack of
conversion of sinners. Furthermore, the Holy Virgin predicted the foundation of
the sanctuary and the monastery in Lichen, from where her glory would be made
known. Mikolaj, the poor shepherd, started to spread Our Lady's message, but
he was persecuted and imprisoned by the Russian invaders. At first,
people wouldn't believe him. Only two years later, when, according to Mary's
prophecy, the cholera epidemic broke out, they remembered her warning. Then
people flocked to the image of the Holy Virgin to pray the rosary for the sick and dying.
A special episcopal committee examined the apparition. At
the request of the parish priest, Florian Kosinski, the committee decided to
move the portrait to the parish church in Lichen. This took place on September
29, 1852. Until 1939, three-thousand answers to prayers were recorded, among them
miraculous recoveries. During World War II both the church and the rectory were
confiscated and used by the Youth Nazi Organization. Fortunately, the image could be hidden and preserved.
In 1949 the parish of Lichen was entrusted to the Marian Fathers (i.e. the
Marians of the Immaculate Conception, who run the National Shrine of the Divine
Mercy in Stockbridge, MA). They started restoring the sanctuary damage incurred during the war. It took
until 1967 when, on the Feast of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, Cardinal
Stefan Wyszynski, then Primate of Poland, crowned the miraculous image of Our
Lady of Lichen, in the presence of the Ordinary of the Wroclawska Diocese,
Bishop Antoni Pawlowski. Many other bishops, hundreds of priests, religious, and about 150,000 lay people attended the ceremony.
The number of pilgrims has been increasing ever since. During their stay in
Lichen, the majority of pilgrims go to confession, for the mission of this
pilgrimage place seems to be reconciliation with God. Thanks to pilgrims'
generosity, a new Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lichen was built in remembrance and
thanksgiving for the two-thousandth anniversary of the birth of Jesus Christ. Pope John
Paul II consecrated Poland's largest church on June 7,1999. The church, modeled
after Saint Peter's Basilica in the Vatican, is the seventh largest in Europe.
Return to Your Questions
Return to The Mary Page
This page, maintained by The Marian Library/International Marian Research Institute,
Dayton, Ohio 45469-1390, and created by
, was last modified
Wednesday, 09/14/2011 10:51:48 EDT
. Please send any comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
URL for this page is http://campus.udayton.edu