Mary Page News

March 23, 1999

Mary Page News items give insight into our interest areas, our outreach, and the myriad ways people honor Our Lady. We welcome your input and your comments.

Features

Homily Helps: Annunciation
Sister Mary – Phychic
National Shrine: Our Lady of Lebanon
The Virgin Mary in Film
Our Lady of the Narrows
Garden Consecration to Jesus Through Mary
Our Lady of La Vang
50th Anniversary – Mariological Society of America
The Thirteenth Station
Seven Sorrows, Seven Joys

Homily Helps for the Feast of the Annunciation of the Lord

Mary Page offers several helps to prepare for the Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord on March 25th. You will find them at:

Sister Mary Psychic

Have you encountered the ad pictured here to our right? In early March, the following event took place between Mary Page news editor and someone who calls herself, Sister Mary:

What seemed at first to be an answering machine left the caller on hold for approximately 60 seconds. Sister Mary, named for the Blessed Virgin Mary, answered in a brisk but kindly manner. She began by asking for the age of the caller and other pertinent information, each time using the address, "dear." When Mary Page editor asked about the identity of Sister Mary, she noted that she was "born and gifted" with the ability to "picture" and to "heal" those who are having problems.

In the background, children could be heard, and the conversation was once interrupted by another incoming call. Sister Mary was asked if she was Christian and with what church she was affiliated. She answered, yes, she was Christian, but it was her "own church ... Not open to the public."

When asked how she could help, what made her able to help, Sister Mary spoke of "candles, crystals, cleaning oils" and such materials. One should send her a handwritten letter with name, date, telephone number and check for $85. Sister Mary would do a "reading and clear all problems."

When the editor stated, "But I don't have that kind of money!" Sister Mary responded, "If you mean business you call me back, dear, okay?" Then Sister Mary hung up.

The editors of Mary Page offer this information to warn anyone who could possibly mistake this little ad for genuine Marian devotion. The Marian statue and the cross have no relationship to the actual profit-making endeavor being attempted here. Mary Page readers might do well to include "Sister Mary" – and the children in her care – in their prayers that she find another way to make a living.

Our Lady of Lebanon

The National Shrine of Our Lady of Lebanon now has a web site. For an online visit, click into: http://www.nationalshrine.org. This is a Catholic Shrine, supported through the Maronite Diocese of Los Angeles. It is located in North Jackson, Ohio and includes directions online. It is open year round to all visitors. They especially welcome groups wishing to make a special day of prayer, conference, retreat or day of recollection. However, group tours should contact the shrine office in advance. The Shrine also regularly hosts special Conferences. These are often given by nationally known speakers and provide opportunities for Confession, Rosary, Mass and Eucharistic Adoration. A schedule of upcoming events is available on their web site.

The Virgin Mary in Film

The Marian Library holds an extensive collection of videotapes on religious topics. There are nearly 400 titles available for public loan which are listed in our web site. There are also a number of rare films in a closed collection for research use. Both sets are constantly growing.

The Library's associated International Marian Research Institute (IMRI) has been doing ongoing research on presentations of the Virgin Mary in Film for some time. One result was a talk on Mary in Film given in German by our Director, Fr. Johann G. Roten, SM, at the 1992 International Mariological Congress in Huelva. The Proceedings from this meeting should be published soon.

The research used for this presentation has since been extended by an IMRI student, Michael Duricy. He is presently completing an S.T.L. thesis on Mary in Film. The projected text seems to be the most thorough treatment of the topic among the modest number of works available in English.

Mr. Duricy would like to request the assistance of Mary Page readers for his project. First, there are many non-religious films which include brief but important Marian scenes (e.g. Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria). These are difficult to identify unless one has seen the entire film and notes the Marian content in the process. If viewers are aware of such films, please send Mr. Duricy the title and a description of the Marian content.

Next, there are many old films which are difficult to locate and acquire. These include Life of Christ films like Robert Wiene's "I.N.R.I" (1923). There are also similar Marian films like Carlos Gonzales' "Tepeyac" (1917) or several Blue Army films from the 50s (e.g. "Blue for every Red"). Many of these types of films are available from general distributors like Facets Films; Movies Unlimited; or Kino. If readers know of other specific sites for obtaining specific films of this type (e.g. through some Diocesan Catechetics office), please let Mr. Duricy know. Also, he would be glad to mention specific titles which the Marian Library is looking for to any reader with expertise in this area. He may be reached by email at: mduricy1@udayton.edu.

Mary Page readers may expect he acquisition of videos and related research to continue for the foreseeable future. Future projects will include an IMRI minicourse of Mary in Film during Summer 1999. We also hope to publish a pastoral guide on Marian Films as well as a database on them. Stay tuned to the Mary Page for further developments.

Our Lady of the Narrows

Facing due west towards New York harbor, is a large statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary entitled "Our Lady of the Narrows." Alumni Director, Sigfried Heiles, (class of 1964) writes, "When Xaverian High School was opened in 1957, devotion to Mary was very strong, as reflected in our school motto "Respice stellam, voca Mariam" (Look to the Star, Call on Mary) Over the years, Marian devotion faded, but recently, the unusual statue of Mary holding a sailing ship in her right hand awakened new interest. The statue was a gift of the first graduating class in 1961. Mary Page looks forward to learning more of its history and symbolic meaning.

Does your parish or school have a unique statue of Mary? Can you share its symbolism and tell its history? Mary Page will be happy to publish such information. Send articles to frisk@data.lib.udayton.edu

Garden Consecration to Jesus Through Mary

Springtime, Holy Week, and the celebration of Easter call to mind gardens. Jesus suffered his spiritual anguish in an olive garden. Mary Page recommends a reflection for this time of year at Mary Gardens.
The reflection considers the topic:
Garden Consecration to Jesus Through Mary

Our Lady of La Vang

Our Lady of La Vang is the central and national shrine of Vietnam. In 1959 La Vang was officially declared a national shrine, marking the 300 years of the Church's presence in Vietnam. The Church of La Vang was made a basilica minor in 1961. For more information, see our Mary Page section, Your Questions at:

Our Lady of La Vang.

Further information can be found by following the link below:

http://www.catholic.org.tw/vntaiwan/lavang/lavang.htm

50th Anniversary – Mariological Society of America

MAGNIFICAT: REMEMBRANCE AND PRAISE
The Mariological Society of America
1949-1999

50th Annual Program (with Exhibition of Marian Art)
May 25-28, 1999
Theological College and National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, D.C.

The Mariological Society of America (MSA) is a Catholic theological association dedicated to studying and making known the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the mystery of Christ and the Church. Through its annual meeting and its publication, Marian Studies, the Society seeks to promote original research in Marian doctrine and devotion. The program for this year's convention:

TUESDAY, May 25, 1999
7:30 p.m.
Opening Session (Members of the MSA) at Theological College, Conference Room
Prayer Service: "Remembrance and Praise"
Reception

WEDNESDAY, May 26, 1999 – Morning
Morning Prayer: 7:45 a.m. Theological College, Chapel
Breakfast: 7-9:00 a.m. Theological College, Dining Room
Registration: 8:30 a.m. Theological College
Opening Welcome: 9:00 a.m. Theological College, Conference Room

Communications:
9:15 am.
A Survey of 50 Years of Mariology
Fr. Eamon R. Carroll, O.Carm., Chicago, IL
10:00 a.m.
MSA and Ecumenism
Fr. Frederick M. Jelly, O.P., Emmitsburg, MD
10:40 a.m.
MSA and Biblical Studies
Father Bertrand A. Buby, S.M., Dayton, OH
11:20 a.m.
MSA and Doctrinal Studies
Father Johann G. Roten, S.M., Dayton, OH

12:00 noon Eucharist at the National Shrine, Blessed Sacrament Chapel
Lunch at Shrine Cafeteria

WEDNESDAY, May 26, 1999 Afternoon – Theological College, Conference Room
Communications:
2:15 p.m.
MSA and Liturgical Studies
Father Thomas A. Thompson, S.M., Dayton, OH
2:45 p.m.
Marian Update: Dissertations and Works in Progress
Sr. Jean Frisk Mary in Catechetical Documents
Mrs. Gloria Dodd Mediation Movement
Ronald Novotny, Ph.D. Mary's Annunciation in H. von Balthasar and M. Buber
Others ...

4:00 p.m.
Business Meeting
5:30 p.m. Dinner Theological College, Dining Room

Conference: National Shrine, Crypt Chapel
7:30 p.m.
The Fascinating Image of the Woman in Revelations 12
Father Bertrand A. Buby, S.M., Dayton, OH
Visit to MSA Art Exhibit, National Shrine, Gallery

THURSDAY, May 27, 1999 Morning
Morning Prayer: 7:45 a.m. Theological College, Chapel
Breakfast: 7-9:00 a.m. Theological College, Dining Room

Conferences: Theological College, Conference Room
9:15 a.m.
The Poverty of Mary and the "Marvelous Deeds" of God as Seen in the Magnificat:
Reflections from the Hebrew Scriptures

Father Aristide Serra, O.S.M., Marianum, Rome
10:45 a.m.
Mary's Magnificat: Sources and Themes
Father Lawrence Frizzell, Institute of Judaeo-Christian Studies, Seton Hall University, NJ

12:00 noon Lunch, Theological College, Dining Room

THURSDAY, May 27, 1999 Afternoon – Theological College, Conference Room
Conferences:
1:30 p.m.
The Spirituality of the Magnificat
Sr. Mary Catherine Nolan, O.P., Notre Dame, IN 3:00 p.m.
Commentary on "Servants of the Magnificat": The Canticle of the Blessed Virgin and the Consecrated Life (Servites, General Chapter 1996)
Father Walter T. Brennan, O.S.M., Chicago, IL

5:15 p.m. 50th Anniversary Eucharist – National Shrine, Crypt Chapel
Celebrant/Homilist: Most Rev. William E. Lori, Auxiliary Bishop of Washington, DC

Reception/Banquet – Theological College

FRIDAY, May 28, 1999
7:15 a.m.
Morning Prayer and Eucharist Theological College, Chapel
Breakfast: 7-9:00 a.m. Theological College, Dining Room
Conferences: Theological College, Conference Room
9:30 a.m.
Heart of Mary, Perfect Model of Love: Marian Dimension of the Millennium Program
Fr. Ronald Bagley, C.J.M., Buffalo, NY
10:30 a.m.
A Marian Perspective on the Millennium
Fr. James McCurry, O.F.M. Conv., Granby, MA

11:30 a.m. Conclusion of Meeting
12:00 noon Lunch
1:00 p.m. Meeting of the Board of Directors

To obtain a registration form, please contact:

THE MARIOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA
The Marian Library
University of Dayton
Dayton, OH 45469-1390

(937) 229-4294 MSA Secretariat
(If no answer, leave message on Voice Mail)
(937) 229-4214 Marian Library Reception Desk
FAX: 937-229-4258

GENERAL INFORMATION
Attendance open to all. You need not be a member to register.

REGISTRATION FEE:
Advanced registration: $40.00
On-site registration: $45.00 ($15.00 per day)

RATES and ACCOMMODATIONS:
Accommodations at Theological College:
$40 Room (per day)
$50 Room with private bath (per day)
*Attendees may room at the Theological College through the weekend at the same rate.
Meals at Theological College:
$50 Meal Package (May 25: Din / May 26: Br&Din
/ May 27: Br,L,Banquet / May 28:Br&L)
Note: Package includes all meals during program except Lunch on Wednesday, May 26 (which can be purchased in the Cafeteria of the National Shrine).
Payment may be made now or at the time of the meeting. Please make check payable to the Mariological Society of America.

The Thirteenth Station

As the Lenten season comes to its climax the Western Churches commemorate the suffering of Mary, especially along the Way of the Cross, who must endure the pain of standing with her Son, unable to ease his crucifixion in any way.

In the Eastern Churches, the Akathist Hymn is sung on the fifth Saturday of Lent (Friday evening or Saturday morning). You will find this music on the Internet at:

Unmercenary Sacred Music – Galician Chant – Akathist Matins

Stations of the Cross by Roger Bezombes
Church of St. Odile, Paris

New Book: Seven Sorrows, Seven Joys

Luke 1:26-27
Audacious angel! How do you dare
to enter here without a knock, without
a warning whir of wings, without a sound
to signal, softly, somebody about?
This is a maiden's chamber after all.
Are you, a seraph, shadowless? Or could
you not have altered light and air to let
her untouched heart beware? Can this be good
to break into a space of grace? Intrude
so suddenly, with prophecy, on her
when her reserve, her insularity
is winter-warm and passionate and pure?
Perhaps you knew she'd answer bold and free:
"I am a virgin, Sir. How can this be?"

Seven Sorrows Seven Joys – Sonnets in Meditation on Mary's Life by Ann W. Astell with illustrations by Faith Astell Albert is a new publication of The Marian Library/International Marian Research Institute. Father Johann G. Roten, S.M., Director of the Institute writes in the foreword:

Art and Spirituality is a series of brief monographs published by The Marian Library/International Marian Research Institute. Its purpose is to promote personal meditation. In general, each issue is based on a focal image of religious character, preferably with a Marian theme.

Seven Sorrows, Seven Joys: Sonnets in Meditation on Mary's Life departs from this schema but pursues the same goal. In this second issue of Art and spirituality both word and image are vehicles of meditation. They both illustrate the meaning of pondering, which is a spiritual form of moving the cradle to and fro. God's own Word is cradled in the heart of the believer. It begs to be rocked and rolled and cuddled to reveal its secrets and disclose the depth of its love. This is what artist and poet set out to achieve in this booklet. They represent two different voices singing the same tune, Mary's life. Following in the footsteps of Mary of Nazareth, the poet tries to intuit and recreate in sonnets filled with noble empathy the seven sorrows and seven joys of her pilgrimage of faith. The artist captures and frames the wealth fo poetic imagery in weightless drawings, beckoning the reader to enter the mysteries of Mary. Though differing in artistic expression, the two artist-sisters are of one heart as they tell us: "Mary's human discipleship becomes ours, and ours becomes hers."

This booklet owes its existence to a God-human interest story. The story is about God, two sisters, call and response. God manifests his presence in one sister (the poet) as call, and in te other sister (the artist) as response. The result is a beautiful conversion story, pointing once more to the manifold ways of God's coming among us, ink drawings and sonnets included. This book can be obtained at The Marian Library/International Marian Research Institute via our e-mail below or in postal form at:
The Marian Library / 300 College Park / Dayton, OH 45469-1390.

Mary and God the Father

Mary Page continues to publish a compendium of Marian themes that have surfaced in magisterial documents from Vatican II to the present. The first set of themes correspond to the Year of God our Father as recommended by Pope John Paul II in preparation for the turn of the millennium. This and the next few week's theme, Mary and God the Father, is a main trinitarian theme with various sub-themes. Information on the sources is also given in cross reference pages. You will find this resource at:

Mary and God the Father: Immaculate Conception

Resources for Lent

Lenten Reflections

Other Resources for God, the Father

Hams for Mary?

Mary Page received the following request. Is anyone out there who can oblige?